- Posted by Scarlett Hawkins
- On April 5, 2019
Itunes Error 54 is one of the most popular iTunes error messages. Mostly you can see this error message when you are trying to sync your iPad, iPhone or iPod with iTunes. Moreover, the iTunes error code 54 appears in Windows OS. Have a look at some major reasons behind this error. These are:
- Outdated iTunes version
- Incomplete or corrupted iTunes installation
- 3rd party software conflicts
- PDF files are stopping the syncing process
Fortunately, there are so many ways to fix this error code. In this article, we are going to explain the most active ways by which you can easily resolve the problem.
How to Fix Error 54? Know The Fundamental Ways
Let’s check out the most effective and active ways to resolve iTunes sync error 54. Go through the article carefully and follow the steps as instructed below:
Method 1: Update your iTunes/iOS Device
This is the first method that you have to try. If you can update your iOS device or iTunes, then you easily resolve this problem.
In this step, firstly, you have to launch “iTunes” on PC and go to the “Help” option. After that, select the “Check for Updates” option and click on “Download iTunes”. Once done, the error must be fixed.
For iOS Device
Firstly, you have to open the “Settings” option and then select the “General” option. Now, choose the “Software Update” option and click on “Download and Install”. After installing, the problem will be resolved.
Method 2: Run iTunes as an Administrator
If the previous method didn’t work out then you can try this method.
In this step, you first have to locate iTunes on your computer and then right click on the “iTunes” app. After that, you have to select the “Run as administrator” option and check if the error is completely resolved or not. If you are still getting the problem then you need to follow the next method below.
Method 3: Uncheck the Read-only Option on the iTunes Folder
This is another handy method that you should try. We will explain this method for Windows 7 and Mac respectively.
For Windows 7 or later
If you are a Windows 7 user, then you have to open “Disk C” and then select the “Users” option. After that, click on “username” and then you have to choose the “My Music”/”Music” option. Finally, select the “iTunes” option and check the error is resolved or not.
In this step, firstly, you have to make sure that you’re in Finder and from the menu bar at the top of your computer screen.
- After that, choose the “Go” option and then select “Home”.
- Now, you need to choose “Music” and then click on “iTunes”.
- After that, Right click on the “iTunes” folder and then select “Properties” at the bottom.
Now, besides “Attributes” title, you have to uncheck the “Read-only” option and then click on “Okay” to save the change. Finally, you should check the problem is resolved or not.
Method 4: Give Authorization to Your Computer
If you are still getting the problem then you need to try this method. In this step, at first, you have to connect your iDevice to iTunes and then click on “Continue”.
- After that, click on “Account” from the top sidebar and then you have to select the “Authorizations”.
- Once you are done with the process, choose the “Authorize This Computer” option and then you have to Enter Apple ID and Password again.
Now, select the “Authorize” option to complete the process. In this way, you can resolve the problem.
Method 5: Modifying the permissions for iTunes
This is another effective way that you can try. If you can modify the permission then you can resolve this issue. Here’s what you have to do:
- Firstly, you have to close iTunes and all associated dialog boxes.
- After that, you have to open a File Explorer menu and then navigate to the iTunes folder and by default, it’s situated within the default Music folder.
- Now, Right-click on the iTunes folder and then click on Properties.
- After that, you have to select the General tab and uncheck the box next to Read-only and press the Apply option to confirm.
- Once done, you will be asked to define your changes and select the toggle next to Apply changes to this folder, subfolders, and files and click on Ok to confirm.
- Now, right-click on the iTunes folder and you need to select Properties once again.
- Once done, you have to select the Security tab and highlight System under Group or user names, then choose the Edit button.
After doing the above, you should make sure the Allow box of Full control is checked and then press the Apply to confirm. Finally, you need to open iTunes again and try to sync your content again. In this way, error 54 iTunes should not appear anymore.
Method 6: Using Compatibility Mode
This is another handy way by which you can easily resolve this problem. In this step, at first, right-click on the iTunes icon and then click on Properties. After that, you have to select the Compatibility tab and tick the “Run this program in compatibility mode for” option and then, select Windows 7. Finally, you have to select the Apply option to save. Once done, open iTunes, re-sync and check whether the issue is gone or not.
Method 7: Restart the Computer and Reinstall iTunes
This is the last method that you have to try. We discuss this method for two different OS such as Windows or Mac:
In this step, at first, you have to open your control panel and then uninstall all iTunes downloads. After that, you have to confirm that all the programs are uninstalled and then restart your computer.
If you are a Mac user, then you have to drag iTunes into the trash and then launch the activity monitor. After that, find the iTunes helper, and then remove it from your Login items list.
- Once done, go to the library/preferences folder and then delete all items that are listed with com.apple.
- iTunes. Now, you have to remove the iTunes and apple mobile device service folders and try to restart your computer.
- After restarting, you should visit the Apple website for downloading the free iTunes installer and download it onto your computer.
- Basically, it may take a few minutes and then run the installer.
Now, choose the installation options and once you’ve gone through the entire dialogue box, you have to select the “finish installing.” option. Finally, restart your computer and check whether the problem is resolved or not.
So, these are the most effective ways by which you can easily resolve the error 54. Hope, you can easily understand the steps. Still, if you are getting the error code, then you should opt for an expert who can give you a better assistance.